December 18, 2010

I'LL KEEP IT WITH MINE

I'LL KEEP IT WITH MINE - NICO
I'LL KEEP IT WITH MINE - DEAN & BRITTA
I'LL KEEP IT WITH MINE - RAINY DAY








I think I could spend a whole dj set playing multiple versions of the same songs, and no one would even notice.

3 versions of the song I have been listening to most this week, obsessively. I think I spent an afternoon repeatedly playing 5 different versions of this song (including a bootleg version by the author, Bob Dylan, and another by The Resonars), until I had listened to the song about 20 times.
I still keep changing my mind about which I prefer the most. At the moment I think it is Nico's and that is the one I plan on playing when I am djing next Wednesday in the bar under my apartment.
I am really enjoying listening to different versions of the same songs at the moment - 'I'll Keep It With Mine' aside: covers of the Kink's 'Stop Your Sobbin'' has had heavy rotation; I just heard Tracey Thorn doing a cover of Lee Hazlewood's 'Come On Home With Me'; a brilliant cover of Jerry Lee Lewis' 'Great Balls of Fire' by an obscure 60's New Zealand band, The Librettos, all slowed-down and moaning; The Miracles/Beatles/Zombies respective versions of 'You Really Got A Hold On Me'.

Perhaps I should start a collection of different versions of the same songs.
Then I could have an 'I'll Keep It With Mine' for every occasion.
I still think repetitive actions, such as listening to the same song multiple times, give me good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment